The Rehfisch family business began in 1864, originally trading as Rehfisch Brothers, and dealing with dry goods and clothing. Heinrich Rehfisch, with his sons Morris and Herman, started the business in Melbourne before relocating to several towns and eventually settling in Ballarat as leather merchants. The store supplied items such as boots, sheepskins and hides.
From about the 1920s, the business shifted focus to firearms and fishing tackle. Today, it is one of the oldest firearms businesses still in the hands of the establishing family.
Herman’s son, Harrie King Rehfisch, ran the business before it then passed down to Ronald Mitchell Rehfisch (26/7/1930 – 4/8/2006). Ron was introduced initially through part-time work whilst a student, then officially entered the business after leaving college.